Thursday, March 12, 2009

Prensky

Marc Prensky "Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants"

Some Things I understand

I understood Prensky- and related to his argument about the gap between digital natives, and digital immigrants. It was an article that allowed me to make sense of my relationship to technology, but also the relationships of my parents sister peers etc. I totally grasped the idea of education not keeping up with the students in their classroom. Furthermore, was the distinction between the different types of processing in the different generations whether lineal or latteral. I recognized the distinctions of what was deemed one process and what made the other, and how institutions are furthering that gap.

Some Things I dont understand

Initially- I had confusion over the use of immigrant, and native, as to which group was which. However, by the completion of our class discussion on this piece it was clarified for me.

Connections to course themes

*see Greenfield piece
-This gap reinforces the cultural context of "teenagers" as a mechanism for division amongst generations and identities that Hine discusses

Comments
This put a lot into perspective for myself and my relationship to technology and that of others- and highlighted the responsability of teachers/professors to work with this technology or lose some level of effectiveness

1 comment:

  1. Prensky does clarify things for me a bit, too, when I think about how I learn and how people younger than me learn.

    ReplyDelete